I have no idea what Dick’s Sporting Goods is like as a retailer. How it’s positioned in the market. What it’s good at or otherwise. But what I can tell you is that it can tell a damn good story.
It loves sport. It loves sporting apparel. It understands what it’s like to be a pro-sportsman. They know every play, fake, feint, call, eye-signal. Whilst (and I could be wrong) pro-sportspeople are unlikely to shop at Dick’s Sporting Goods I assume they have the product range, knowledge and, perhaps the heritage, to pass their expertise on to the sports fan, runner or hiker.
This ad is directed by Derek Cianfrance (Blue Valentine, The Place Beyond The Pines) and I think it’s one of the best, and most beautiful, ads I’ve seen in a long time.
1. I’m still here: back online after a year without the internet via @verge
2. Europe’s Bee Rescue via Bloomberg
3. Time and Space > Incredible timelapse videos of our changing earth. All from satellite images.
4. Why Beer Matters by @evanrail. An impassioned appraisal of why beer is important in our age, an age of generic lager and mass brewed beers.
5. The most toxic words in marketing by Michael Brenner. Are you selling stuff? Read on.
6. Competitive analysis: Stepping outside the industry and ahead of the competition via marketing sherpa
7. Leading, with the help of humour via The New York Times. “In my view, if you’re not failing, you’re not trying hard enough”
8. How high’s the water, mama? A tribute to De La Soul’s seminal ‘Three Feet High and Rising”. Album tracks, sampled tracks and commentary all in one sublime 1 hour mix. Listen!
9. The Buffer Culture via JChernov
1. B2B Digital Marketing by Rene Power > Great framework for B2B marketing beginners and practitioners alike
2. The Inferior Brand via Mitch Joel
3. 11 things I’ve learned from writing 1000 blog posts via econsultancy
4. How to find your purpose and do what you love via Brain Pickings
5. f.lux. Adapt the brightness of your computer screen to the time of day. A revelation.
6. The origin of the 8 hour day and why we need to rethink it via buffer. Reminded me that I need to start practising pomodoro again.
7. Dear Leader dreams of sushi via GQ. The story of Kim Jong-Il’s personal chef.
8. 1password. A weight off my mind. I literally, only need to remember 1 password.